Based on the updated code of points, a rhythmic gymnastics leotard must accomplish the following rules:
- Non- transparent. Some parts in lace will have to be lined from the trunk to the chest. It must be tight fitting in order to enable the judges the correct positions.
- They can have sleeves but narrow straps are not allowed.
- Leotards for groups must be identical. However, if the leotard is made of a patterned material, some slight differences due to the cut may be tolerated.
- The neckline of the front and back of the leotard must be no further down than half of the sternum and the lower line of the shoulder blades.
- The cut of the leotard at the top of the legs must not go beyond the fold of the crotch (maximum); undergarments worn beneath the leotard should not be visible beyond the seams of the leotard itself.
From 2017, the code of points also allows:
- Tights under the leotard
- Gymnasts may perform their exercises with bare feet or gymnastics slippers.
- Forbidden: to wear jewellery or piercings which jeopardize the safety of the gymnast. Also a skirt that does not fall further than the pelvic area over the leotard, tights or the unitard is allowed.
Penalties by Coordinator Judge:
Leotards will be checked prior to the entrance of the gymnast in the competition hall and if this does not conform to the code of points, a penalty is applied by the Coordinator Judge.
- -0.30 points for individual gymnast and one time for the Group at fault.
- -0.30 points if emblem or publicity not conforming to official norms.
- -0.30 points in case of bandages or support pieces are made of colors (it must be of skin color)