During last weekend, Carolina Rodríguez and her teammates from Spanish National Team and Club Ritmo, from León (Spain) were invited to Palilula Cup in Belgrade. Carolina performed over there her gala. Carolina is 11 times National Champion and Mediterranean Games Gold medal. Olympic Games in Rio will be their 3rd Olympic Games. She also will be the oldest gymnast ever in Olympic Rhythmic Gymnastics discipline.
– How did your gymnastics career start?
– For my parents it was actually very difficult. Both are deaf. I must communicate with them using my hands. That´s why my coach realized I could even perform a story using only my hands. And this is how my career started. After two years I became Spanish National Champion . We had a lot of difficulties: our club had not very good facilities (cold, low ceiling…) so that we had to train in a church. I even was called ” The Miracle Champion”.
I joined National Team as a junior gymnast and after a year, in 2001 I competed in World Championships in Madrid
– After so many years, you still have the strenght for training
– I have to say I do everything with passion. Of course I had bad moments. But just one good moment worths the bad moments.
“In 2007, Spanish National Federation asked me to leave the team. I was really sad and I stopped doing gymnastics for 6 months. Then I was back and after a year, the Federation said I was selected for representing Spain. But I decided not to leave my hometown, León. ” – said Carolina
– How was your stay in Belgrade?
– Carolina will only perform a Gala over here – said Ruth, her coach – but Sara Llana from National team is also here and two other junior gymnasts: Paula and Olatz. We think we have a really different style.